Thursday, January 24, 2008

Save the Science Fairs


One of my professors commented the other day that some schools have stopped having science fairs due to the large amount of work and time that they require. After this I thought about when I participated in science fairs as a child. It was an opportunity for the "athletically challenged" students, like me, to attempt to earn praise from the teachers, trophies for the family collection, and our pictures in the local newspaper. I enjoyed actually doing something with the scientific information that I learned about in class daily. Also it allowed me to express my creativity through science. I could design an experiment and the things I needed for it to work. I think I learned more about the scientific method through science fairs than I did from any textbook. I think science fairs are a great example of Constructivism in action. Educators can talk about it all they want, but it is worthless unless they practice it. Science fairs allow students to practice science.
If schools can invest the effort into activities such as sports, plays, dances, and other activities, why do some schools want to exclude or reduce science fairs? Science fairs do require effort, but so does any other school activity. Since schools have the effort, time, and resources for other subjects' large activities, they should not stop having science fairs. It would withhold a valuable experience for all students.

5 comments:

Aaron McCann said...

I could not agree with you more, science fairs enables those who are not interested in sports to get involved with their schools. However, getting the schools to feel the same way you do will be difficult because of the student interest. Most students do not enjoy doing science fairs due to the work involved. They feel that it is an unneccessary homework assignment. I was the same way when I was younger, if I could get out of doing an assignment I would. Making it difficult to get student's interested in doing a science fair. Although I feel that accomplishing your task would be difficult, I do still agree with you.

Mariah said...

I agree! How else are students supposed to learn the scientific method first hand. Also, it prepares students that wish to enter a science field for undergrad research, presenting data in lab courses, etc. Doing away with Science Fairs would deprive many studnets from an opportunity to explore and suceede, because as Michael said, some of us are, sadly, "athletically challenged".

joy39 said...

Science fairs I have to admit are not my favorite activity to complete. My children however have done them and we did well,never any trophies or scholarships but we worked hard to produce a quality project. In later years one of them chose to take a project to a school science fair not required and he enjoyed it and went to district. I do believe we need to keep having them but making them required is a whole nother ball game. I believe they should be optional so those who really want to do the project can shine and excel in what they do best, just like sports.

Reader said...

Science fairs are fun for students. I think it is the parents who dread all the work. I say, let your kids do all the work. I remember doing them and even though I didn't win and they didn't look very fancy, I did them myself. I agree that this type of discovery learning should remain a part of school.

Autumn said...

I participated in many science fairs throughout my schooling, and absolutely loved them!!! I agree with you in that science fairs provide the students with an oppurtunity to "practice science." It allows students to pursue topics of interests that they may not fully cover in the curriculum. Although science fairs may be alot of work, they pay off to the overall benefit of the students in the end (plus you get to learn all kinds of neat things!)